Business Operations Manager (Raleigh NC)
Puny Human is a game development company located in Raleigh, North Carolina. Formed in 2007, we are composed of numerous fun-loving, experienced game developers with a mission to provide our players with entertaining and lasting experiences in a healthy, open, and versatile way.
We are searching for a Business Operations Manager to put Puny Human on a track for continued success by ensuring operations processes run efficiently. In the short term, this role will work to take on financial and legal obligations to support day-to-day operations. Long term, we expect this role to take on business development duties by communicating with our clients on project progress, soliciting prospective project work, working with outsource vendors, and assisting in our marketing and advertising strategies. The Business Operations Manager will work closely with the current Production and Business Development staff, and the Studio Manager.
This person must be extremely detail-oriented, process-driven, patient, and humble. This position requires someone with a positive attitude, that is action-oriented, and willing to wear numerous hats to advance the studio and ensure our team is the best version of themselves! 18 years of age or older. A high school or college degree is not required. Attitude over aptitude.
The Business Operations Manager is responsible for financial, human resources and legal processes, assisting in team and project leadership, business development and strategy where necessary. This position works closely , and Producers serving in a Lead Producer role own and are responsible for project management, processes regarding team organization, scheduling, work items, and planning, and ensures clearly defined requirements delivered to the team for estimation and execution.
- Creates and sends invoices, communicating with client representatives to ensure prompt payment.
- Organizes, and verifies employee and contractor timesheets for processing.
- Receives vendor invoices, organizing and properly allocating funds for payments.
- Enters in and manages financial transactions into a chart of accounts, while defining and growing bookkeeping policies and procedures.
- Maintains and balances individual accounts and general ledger, by verifying, posting and reconciling transactions.
- Prepares financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Ensure financial, legal and regulatory documents are filed and monitor compliance with laws and regulations.
- Scans in, organizes and manages all paper records.
- Work with management to ensure commitment to values, mission and to plan short and long-term company goals.
- Develop, implement and review operational policies and procedures.
- Help promote a company culture that encourages top performance and high morale.
- Assist with recruiting, and works with clients to meet or manage expectations, foster trust, and ensure partner satisfaction.
- Encourages continuous, transparent, and positive communication to promote collaboration among the company’s leaders and stakeholders.
- Manage phone calls and correspondence (e-mail, letters, packages etc.)
- Coordinate office activities and operations to secure efficiency and compliance to company policies.
- Keep stock of office supplies and equipment, placing orders when necessary
- Previous experience working with game development teams in a leadership or production role.
- Exhaustive understanding of game development and the video games industry.
- Expert knowledge and comfort with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Adobe Acrobat, Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Drive.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge and comfort with Quickbooks or other accounting software.
- Experience with filing legal and financial documents (examples include NC SOS, DOR, US IRS or US Census filings.)
- Experience packaging and shipping materials and parcels, working with the United States Postal Service and private carriers for drop-off and delivery.
- Understanding of general finance and budgeting, including profit and loss, balance sheet and cash-flow management.
- Marvelous attention to detail, organizational, and planning skills.
- Excellent English written, verbal and communication skills.
- Background on project teams serving as a conflict resolver, communication relay, and emotional and perspective organizer for team members.
- Action-oriented and independent in order to start and stay productive without any oversight or encouragement from peers or leadership.
- A discerner, understanding perspectives, empathetic and never making assumptions based on their own interpretation.
- A captivator, with a talkative, outgoing, and friendly personality and positive attitude.
- A sage, capable of maintaining composure in front of many or being interviewed.
- A forward-thinker, constantly formulating new ideas to reach audiences or satisfy fans.
- A creator, capable of trying new things through inventive and innovative means.
- A team player, willing to help regardless of peer relationships or target project.
- A self-starter, able to be motivated regardless of situation or circumstances.
- Tolerant, that doesn’t care about what makes somebody a human being.
- Organized, efficiently self-managing time and tasks to stay on schedule and within budget.